Lawful Permanent Residency is required for employment in the U.S. You are not allowed to work in the United States unless you have a permanent resident card, informally referred to as a “Green Card”, an Employment Authorization Document (“EAD” or work permit”), or an employment-related visa which allows you to work for a particular employer. If you are in the United States on a student visa or if you are about to graduate and are applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT), talk with your foreign student advisor (designated school official) at your school before you take any job.